Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Pecan Pie Larabar

The Larabar came up high in a Men's Health (I think) article I read about nutrition bars in preparation for this project, so I made sure to pick one up to try. I'm starting with the Pecan Pie Larabar. It has three ingredients: dates, pecans, and almonds, so already I'm a little sceptical about the "pecan pie" claim- real pecan pie, of course being one of the few places where I actually approve of the use of corn syrup. Pardon me while I fantasize about some pecan pie...
 
Unfortunately, the Larabar tastes nothing like pecan pie. It tastes like dates and nuts. I don't have a problem with dates and nuts, and I do appreciate the portion control aspect, since my "11 almond" snack is just as likely to turn into a couple of handfuls. The dates also make the bar pretty sweet- I suspect the 22 g of sugar and the only 3 g of protein mean that this bar will not keep me satisfied until dinner. At least there's free hot tea at this temp job.
 
Application of the Nutrition Formula:
Protein: 3 g, 1 point
Fiber: 4 g, 4 points
Natural Ingredients: No HFCS, Non-organic, 3 ingredients, no artificial sweetners, 4 points
Calories: 220, 4 points
Sugars: 18 g, 3 points
Total: 14/25
 
Taste: I don't understand why they don't just call it "Date and Nut Bar." I also don't understand why they couldn't throw some cinnamon or something in there, something to cut the sweetness of the dates. Or maybe I think it needs a higher nut to date ratio. But it definitely tastes like food.
12/25
 
Overall: 26/50

No comments:

Post a Comment